Financial & Legal

EDF tariffs - Heures creuse V Bleu/rouge etc ?

quercus56 writes in Financial & Legal

Hi there, am hoping to find others of you that have struggled with ever increasing EDF bills...have tried filling in there online questions re saving on elec but I need a comparison really before doing anything drastic with our tariff.

We are currently on heures creuse (23:30 to 6:30ish) we have - I think - a 45kw output due to our house being over 250 sq meters. Back up elec rad's but 16kw wood burner - elec oven (gas hob) wash machine, dishwasher etc.. Our current monthly bills average out at approx 220euro per month..... We have low watt bulbs for basic lighting and are gradually changing downlighters to 7watts instead of the 50watt halogens (not that they are on all day tho) and gas top kettle etc.. TV's and computers on standby/ sleep as husband worries about them being turned off nightly.

Was thinking about lowering the 45kw and perhaps changing to red and blue days (I know this means we can't do dish washer and wash machine at same time etc... and careful when heating is on and pain in the preverbial if you have two red days in winter at -2 degrees) so before taking the plunge I would really welcome some genuine helpful advice and to hear of others experience with these tariffs.

Thanks in advance all !

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 12:32

I've actually just changed from a normal tariff to heures creuses and having checked my bill I'm on a 6KW output. I have elec oven, dishwasher, washing machine, chauffe eau, fridge, freezer etc. Wood burning central heating and elec. radiators but don't use them, computer on all day etc. I don't leave things on standby though and the water heater is only on for 2 hours a night which is sufficient for our use. On 6KW I haven't experienced any problems with the electric.

I went on to the heures creuses because I found my 120 euros a month electricity bills hard to handle, I haven't had a new bill yet, but I can see that I'm using more electricity at the more expensive rate and also calculating the units I've used I'm on course to have used 1,600 units less than last year, which leads me to believe I've had a faulty meter in the past.

Maybe you could reduce your output - that seems a massive amount to me unless I'm misunderstanding.

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 12:46

Sorry made a mistake, am using more electricity at the cheaper rate, so am expecting bills to reduce.

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 12:48

Actually you're right it is a massive amount that amout of 220 was including a rental cottage so OUR bill was actually around 160 per month which I still find too high. Thanks for your input 'confused'

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 13:04

Hi, I think the main problem is the 45kw supply, I have similar circumstances to you except our heating is all electric and manage fine on a 9 kw supply, my average looks as if it's going to be about 110 euros a month. If you reduced from 45kw to 9kw that would probably save around 50 euros a month.

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 13:16

Couple of points;
You have a 45Amp supply - 9Kw. The Tempo tariff (red days and blue days) is no longer available to new contracts, so it isn't an option. The day/night tariff (heures creuses) is only of financial benefit if at least 50% of your consumption is at the night rate (typically 10;30 - 6:30 - and before someone, yet again, pipes up with "mine is only on tuesdays that are in September", yes, the times vary). EDF may push you to HC, but do the maths. Few (apart from EDF) benefit.
160€/month is about average for a large house. OTHERS' EXPERIENCES MAY VARY!

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 13:18

BTW, a 45KW supply is not available in a domestic installation.

Posted on: 07/03/2012 at 13:19
Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Featured Information

Driving

Driving

How to make sure you stay on the right side of the law when you're driving in France.

Read more...
Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts

Find out about services and government organisations that play a part in moving to France.

Read more...